We had a Friendsgiving party with our Sunday school class at church and I made a dessert for the party. Thus ensued the frantic panic of
aaaahhh I have to pick the greatest recipe so that way everyone loves it and it makes them all happy
I perused a recipe book that I have and I came across a strawberry shortcake recipe. It was between that and berry turnovers from another book. My boyfriend voted for the shortcake and so shortcake it was!! The recipe originally said to do a 9×9 pan and if you wanted to double it, go 9×13. So I doubled because I was expecting a lot of people, but I should have just done the 9×9 because it would have been just enough! I had an absolute blast measuring everything out ahead of time (#nerdalert) and the strawberries for this time of year were undeniably amazing. It all came together quite splendidly and turned out quite scrummy! This recipe comes from A Farmer’s Daughter by Dawn Stoltzfus.
Ingredients: (for a 9×9 pan) (can be doubled and put into a 9×13 or two 9×9’s)
- 1 1/2 cups raw or white sugar
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 3/4 cups flour, divided (1 3/8 cup and 1 3/8 cup)
- 1 cup milk, divided (1/2 cup and 1/2 cup)
- 1 qt fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- whip cream or ice cream
Directions: (preheat to 350°)
- Mix sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla until creamy.
- Add baking powder, salt, and half the flour (1 3/8 cup). Add 1/2 cup milk.
- Mix until ingredients are just moistened. Add remaining flour and milk.
- Don’t overmix!
- Pour into 9×9 and bake for 35-40 minutes. (for 9×13, adjust baking time to be a little longer. 50-55 minutes)
- serve with strawberries and whip cream or ice cream!
My oven seems to be giving me some issues whenever we bake as it seems to take cakes much longer than the recipe is calling for. Because of this, the edges of the shortcake cooked a little too long and were pretty dry while the top of the center wasn’t completely cooked. These are personal issues though and nothing negative to say about the recipe of the flavor of the shortcake. I would certainly recommend trying this yummy shortcake for yourself!!
I am linking up to Angie’s Fiesta Friday #273, with Molly @ Frugal Hausfrau!
Head to one of my two recipe indexes for an almost complete listing of all the recipes on threecatsandagirl! 🙂 Recipes by Ingredient or Recipes by Genre