This is an exciting post for me as it is my 200th blog post!!! Thanks for being here with me for it!
This recipe was one of the few recipes from the Complete Idiot’s Guide to Cooking for Two that I wrote about last month. This soup was the first of two recipes from this book that I made in January while all of my family was out of town. I was a little intimated when I started reading everything I needed to do, but once I started it wasn’t so bad!
Hot & Sour Soup with Pork
- 1/3 lb boneless pork chops (2 boned)
- 1/3 cup mushrooms (about 3)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 TBSP vegetable oil
- 1 TBSP Asian sesame oil
- 2 tsp garlic
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced (green and white parts)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 TBSP soy sauce
- 2 TBSP rice vinegar
- 1/4-1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 TBSP cornstarch
- 2 TBSP cold water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Directions: (40 minutes total)
- Rinse pork and pat dry with paper towels. Trim off all visible fat and cut into thin strips, against the grain.
- Combine mushrooms and boiling water, submersing the mushrooms. Soak for 10 minutes. Then drain mushrooms, but save soaking liquid. Discard stems and thinly slice mushrooms.
- While mushrooms are soaking, heat vegetable and sesame oil in a 10″ skillet over med-high heat. Add pork and cook until brown, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add green onions and garlic. Cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Stir in chicken broth, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer soup for about 15 minutes, covered. Add mushrooms and the soaking liquid. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl, then add to the soup mixture. Stir and simmer for 2 minutes. Slowly add egg while stirring. Simmer 1 more minute and serve!
As I said, this was much easier than I expected, so I was really happy with that!! The recipe said you could season with salt, but I thought it was perfect without it! I really enjoyed the broth of this soup. I wrote out the recipe and will definitely be making it again!
I am linking up to Angie’s Fiesta Friday #265, with Laurena@Life Diet Health and Kat@Kat’s 9 Lives!
Head to one of my two recipe indexes for an almost complete listing of all the recipes on threecatsandagirl! 🙂 Recipes by Ingredient or Recipes by Genre